Karyotypic Aberrations (karyotypic + aberration)

Distribution by Scientific Domains

Selected Abstracts

The prognostic significance of cytogenetic aberrations in childhood acute myeloid leukaemia.

A study of the Swiss Paediatric Oncology Group (SPOG)
Abstract In childhood-onset acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) the clinical value of karyotypic aberrations is now acknowledged, although there is still debate concerning the prognostic significance of some events. To add to this knowledge, cytogenetic analysis was performed on a consecutive series of 84 childhood AML patients diagnosed in Switzerland. A result was obtained for all patients, with 69 (82%) showing a clonal karyotypic aberration. In the remaining 15 (18%), no karyotypic aberration was seen by either conventional or fluorescence in situ hybridisation analyses. The most frequent aberrations observed were t(11q23) (19% of all patients), t(8;21) (12%) and +8 (11%). Except for cytogenetics, no clinical parameter was shown to be significantly associated with outcome. The analysis of individual cytogenetic subgroups demonstrated that aberrations involving chromosome 16q were the strongest predictor of a good prognosis, while +8 and complex karyotypes represented the strongest predictors of a poor prognosis. It was also noteworthy that patients with the rare aberrations of del(11q) (n = 4) and t(16;21)(p11;q22) (n = 3) had a poor outcome. The results support the importance of cytogenetic analysis in childhood AML, but show that further work is required in the classification of the poor prognosis aberrations. [source]

Clonal complex chromosome aberration in non-ossifying fibroma,

Marķa Sol Brassesco PhD
Abstract Cytogenetic information of non-ossifying fibromas (NOFs) is exceptionally limited. This fact relies, in part, on their benign nature but mainly because most cases evolve undetected or there is no need for surgical intervention. We report the case of a NOF arising in the left tibia of a 14-year-old male with an invariable clonal translocation. The karyotype was denoted as 42,46,XY,t(11;3;14)(q23;p21;p11). There are only two previous reported cases of clonally aberrant NOF. Records from additional cases will be essential to assess whether consistent karyotypic aberrations define this lesion. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010;54:764,767. © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc. [source]

CD40L stimulation enhances the ability of conventional metaphase cytogenetics to detect chromosome aberrations in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia cells

Raymund Buhmann
Summary. Conventional metaphase cytogenetics underestimates the frequency of specific chromosome aberrations in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (B-CLL) as a result of the very low proliferative activity of these cells in vitro. New molecular approaches, such as fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) or comparative genomic hybridization (CGH), may circumvent this problem, at least in part, but these techniques are either strongly dependent on the knowledge of candidate regions or detect only unbalanced aberrations. In the present study, we analysed 27 B-CLL peripheral blood samples by metaphase cytogenetics after CD40 ligand (CD40L)-induced cell cycle stimulation. In comparison with the simultaneous use of B-cell mitogens such as 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA), lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and pokeweed mitogen (PWM), CD40L stimulation of B-CLL cells induced a threefold increase in metaphases amenable to analysis by conventional cytogenetics. The analysis of these metaphases confirmed all genetic abnormalities detected by FISH. Moreover, CD40L-enhanced cytogenetics revealed complex karyotypic aberrations in 11 out of 27 patients (41%). In one case, a balanced translocation t(11;16)(p15;p13.1), so far unreported in B-CLL, was detected. Taken together, the results of our study show the potential of CD40L-enhanced metaphase cytogenetics to detect more and new chromosome aberrations in B-CLL. [source]